Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thinking about predictably irrational...

I think the concept of predictably irrational is a really difficult one and poses some serious challenges for leaders. It is challenging to work with people and influence them to see things your way when irrationality comes into play.

I suppose the best way to explain your decision process is to explain in detail but also acknowledge that it may come off as irrational: “I know this doesn’t make sense but…” or “I know we are inclined to do this one way but let me explain why it should be done another way”. The concept of predictably irrational decision making can be pretty uncomfortable for people in regards to decision making because you are dealing with rationality vs instincts.

The best example I can think of that has happened to me, when I have been influenced by a decision based on the way the information was presented, is probably working Saturdays. My company is very big on working weekends and overtime. I never thought that I would be a person to work weekends. I always thought the weekend is for me, and nothing is more important than having that time to myself. I always thought if I had a job that required weekends I would refuse. But somehow I don’t see it as being that bad anymore, and I know it goes against my better judgment but I suppose my “decision” to work weekends has to do with how the information is presented. Having deadlines, having other co-workers also work weekends, meetings where bosses are always saying that working weekends are “encouraged”. It is totally wrong in my belief and yet somehow I am ok with it and find myself being the weekend-cheerleader and trying to tell my co-workers all the reasons why it’s a good idea. I suppose though in this case working weekends may be rational to some and irrational to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment