Sunday, October 17, 2010

Perceptions... quiet troublemakers

Unfortunately, I missed class last Wednesday due to illness (no one eat the Chinese chicken salad from the SJSU student center..) however I did find the reading "Framing and Negotiation" very interesting. Many of the ideas presented in the article reminded me of a chapter in our book about the idea of "anchoring".

At work, I like to be knowledgeable and take charge of situations where I am comfortable. Though I work with mostly women, the members of our board are mostly older men. Often I find that when I present a progress report or idea to this group of older gentlemen, I am asked many, often redundant questions. When my older male supervisor presents his reports and ideas, he is met more receptively and with approval. What I believe is happening here is because I am younger (not going to go into male vs. female..), then the board members believe that I lack experience, and are more likely to scrutinize my ideas and reports. I do not believe they are being malicious in this scrutiny, however I do believe that they perceive me as a less experienced person who needs more guidance than my boss.

Dealing with this (perceived) perception of my, I find myself trying harder and re analyzing my reports, trying to prepare myself for anything they might throw at me. I try to prove that even though I am "young", that I still have expertise in the area I am assigned and try to gain their trust and support.

I really don't like for people to have misconceptions of me.. it's a little neurotic, but I am not happy if someone does not like me. Once I find out what the misconceptions are, I make a conscious effort to change their mind. I adapt the way I act around the person until I either am satisfied that their mind is changed, or I decide that it is useless. I know this attitude is not the healthiest, why should I care if someone has a misconception about me or does not like me? I don't know why I care, but I really do...

No comments:

Post a Comment