Friday, October 22, 2010

Mind Bugs

I found an interesting video clip similar to what we had in class, showing the set of a scene completely changed, without the viewer noticing anything! Here’s the link to the clip: http://www.dothetest.co.uk/whodunnit.html

In respect to the concept of mind bugs, I’m really interested to know how our minds work. As I was looking for some examples of popular misconceptions, I came across an interesting book by the same title, “Mind Bugs”, by Kurt Vanlehn. It says when children acquire arithmetic skills, they often develop "bugs" - small, local misconceptions that cause systematic errors. The book explores how mathematics students acquire procedural skills in instructional settings, focusing in particular on procedural misconceptions and what they reveal about the learning process. I wonder if it’s the same about other forms of misconceptions. For example in the video clip I mentioned above, how many people would actually notice the changes? How is it that their mind works differently than others? Did they have a different learning process as the book explains about mathematical misconception?

I certainly don’t like people to have misconceptions about me, but for some who are more important to me, I actively try to show them my true self. For others I do not pay much attention, and let time resolve any misconceptions

I remember when I started my first banking job as a teller, I was so nervous about doing everything correctly, I wouldn’t talk to my co-workers about non-job related subjects. My co-workers had the false impression that this is because of my arrogance and not caring about their social lives. Every move and every word from me was conceived in a completely different manner than what I meant. I didn’t think I could ever benefit from their friendship, but time rectified their misconceptions, and we have become close friends to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment