Thursday, September 16, 2010

Is it coming from the Heart?

Does it come from the heart or does it come from your keister?
Here is one of those nifty stylish area fifty-one (51), black helicopter questions; why do some people always push themselves to excel and challenge the darn near impossible, while others simply settle for ordinariness or mediocrity? What drives people, what creates the ‘driven’? If the critical key to individual (and organizational) excellence is a greater fortitude and determination to get somewhere (and that seems to be the emerging scientific conclusion) then why aren’t more people committed to that behavior? Is it bred, is it learned or just acquired by eating tons of big and tasty burgers. By the way I am not trying to offend any red blooded Americans who enjoy their burgers; I eat a few too many myself.
"I have so many great ideas, if only I could get motivated."

“I am really smart but why can’t I lose the weight?"
"I can't seem to lose weight unless I have someone relentlessly checking on me and I can't afford a personal trainer."
“I wish I had a supervisor who would notice more of my accomplishments.”
“I wish my partner would tell me that they love me more often.”
“I would be so much better off if someone would force me to save more money”?
These statements must sound familiar, because I have heard them more times than I would like to count. What these statements have in common is the individual who cries and begs for motivation and for an ounce of follow through, it is that inability to do it unless someone provides a carrot that is pre-digested. So let’s toss out the carrots and beat the people with tall African sugar canes. Nah that is silly!
The problem here is what happens when you wake up and find that your shoes are too tight, I call this an unhealthy connection with value and incentive. Someone might say, just buy a larger shoe, but I say that is the problem in the first place.
Here is a silly comment that I hear all the time and it floors me; “It’s probably cheap because it is no good.” Stay with this logic you will see where I am headed. Without the development of some miniscule sense of intrinsic motivation all fails. Those who are unable to be intrinsically motivated have great difficulty finding success in any area. If you were to examine successful people one of their main ingredients to unlocking the doors of success is their ability to motivate themselves. Season that with the ability to motivate one or two others and baby they got it made in the shade. Think of it as making love in the dark. What you can’t see probably is better than what you can see. No longer do they behave like the child who says: “look at what I can do.” Typically you never know that they have done it but somehow it just gets done. Go figure! A friendly cousin of extrinsic motivation is black market Sam, just kidding. A close cousin of extrinsic motivation is external validation, the need for someone outside of you to approve of everything you do. The need for external validation is a serious issue because it has an intense ability to affect self-esteem. Take the example of teaching a dog how to efficiently and effectively fetch a stick, every single time we throw the stick and we want him to retrieve it we should give him a treat to connect as a reward for getting the stick. In this example the dog learns that when he performs the desired behavior he will be reinforced with a treat. Typically this is true for human behavior as well, regrettably it can enforce and develop extrinsic behavior that is only valued through rewards. Could this have been the issue with the game of Blind Square?

No comments:

Post a Comment