Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Displaying emotions...

I really liked the activity in class last week! I had fun "acting" excited and trying to act disgusted. I like these kind of activities where you get to be creative. It was more difficult to say the ridiculous lines in a disgusted or revered way.. but body language certainly helped try to get the point across. My scores were pretty good for the encoding as well as the decoding, which makes sense to me. Usually, I wear my emotions on my sleeve, and I have to try very hard to not show if I am angry, upset, happy, or disappointed. Likewise, I can usually tell when someone is sad, irritated, happy, excited, hiding something, and tired. I try to be observant with my peers and like being able to sense how people are feeling. It gives me the ability to mirror their mood and (in my mind) put them more at ease.

My mother told me as well that "it is not what you say, it is how you say it" and it is completely true!! I have never thought about the fact that what I say can tell people about my core values. After reading the articles in our reader... I discovered that I have a complete mish mash of emotional expression habits, and I am not fond of all of them. I often discount what I am saying, which was described as an extremely passive trait.. but at the same time, I often get "emotionally hijacked" by situations, which is described as aggressive. I don't want to be passive OR aggressive! When I talk to someone, I want to be assertive, agreeable, knowledgeable, and compromising without being a push over. I suppose that translates to one of my core values of strength. After reading the articles, I have paid more attention to my 'knee-jerk" reactions to situations and have started evaluating whether or not I like them.. and if not, what I can do to change it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cat, I think you wrote a very good analysis of the concepts were learned in the game and tying them back to emotional intelligence shows how important emotional intelligence really is. My mother also has told me “its not what you say its how you say it”. This at first applied to arguing with my siblings growing up but it still holds true today for most situations in life. Sometimes we don’t really pay attention to the delivery of what and how we are saying things and that is definitely a skill that can be improved. I feel I had a similar experience as you with regard to the emotional intelligence readings, I really didn’t realize that I do certain things until I read about them and then after a little self-reflection thought “do I do this??”. It’s definitely helpful to be aware of our emotions and I think being aware and recognizing how to handle them for the appropriate situation is essential to developing personal and professional relationships.

    ReplyDelete