Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Motivation

Depending on the situation, I feel that there are a lot of things that motivate me. When I think of what motivates me at my job, I would have to say it's mostly money. I work as a server at a restaurant, so my main goal is to make good tips. This, coincidentally, means that I have to provide better service to earn them so it works for both the company and I. When I worked my full time sales job, I was motivated to push the company forward. Making money was great and all, but since it was a small start-up company, I felt personally invested and motivated to see it succeed. I like the feeling of being motivated by something I like better than money. Being personally invested in something and caring about the outcome is the easiest way to have someone do their best job at their task.

I think that what motivates me isn't much different than what motivates others. Everyone is motivated to work towards a goal if it's something they care about. But sometimes, it isn't always that easy to get everyone to want the same final goal. This is when other motivation styles need to be put in place. It is important to take the individual or group that you are trying to motivate and analyze which style would be the most advantageous. Fear is good, but sometimes can cut ties with those you are scaring. All in all, I feel that inspiration is the best form of motivation. Scaring someone or getting angry can get the job done, but may have more negative effects than you would want. Inspiring someone to be motivated gets the job done and probably gets the best outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment