Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Intrinsic Motivation

Motivation does play an important role in my daily life. To me, there is a difference between extrinsic and intrinsic motivations. An extrinsic motivation, for example, is like that your manager raises your salary because you have been working hard. As for an intrinsic motivation, you often find out some truths about yourself like you’ve been enjoyed getting involved in what you are doing because you like the environment or because you can help others and make contributions to the world. No doubts, people are likely to be attracted to intrinsic motivations. I that way, when I lost the momentum to work, I can quickly get energy out of my intrinsic motivation repertoire and again become focused and concentrated on what I am working now.

Whenever I got lost under stressful working environment, I like to reframe things with my eyes closed, because sometimes what you see does not truly reflect truths, and mind opened.
Then, I will take a deep reflection on what’s meaningful to me and what should I do to continue pursuing the meaningful things. Luckily this strategy works very well on me and I enjoy doing it whenever I need a break from work and my busy life.

To motivate others, as according to textbook, you need to create an environment of trust and collaboration. Abusing power with negative attitudes towards your followers will bring you and your team with long term damages. As a leader, to know your followers internally is important. Just like you, others like to be lead with intrinsic motivations.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that Sam reminded me that abusing power with negative attitudes can bring long term damages. If my boss at work understood this, he would talk half as much as he does.

    ReplyDelete