Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cultural Miscommunication

There are many things that will stymie our communication with people who has different backgrounds, cultures, and values from us. I am a foreign student, and I have suffered through really tough time to overcome the culture barrier since the first day I came to the States. As a matter of fact, for people who come from Asia usually found their culture shocks while interacting with people who speak different languages. I used to work with an Indian classmate, and we sometimes had some contradictions in minds and communications. I always try to take a soft way to accommodate things and provide him with big frame to accomplish projects. However, my partner is more like an aggressive and detail oriented person. He likes to make things complicated with elaborated labored work to make the project look nice regardless of the deadline of the project. We do have some hard time in negotiating on the issue of whether to finish the project on time or spend extra time to make the late turned in project look nice. I think my logical reasoning is not communicated efficiently enough for him to understand my purpose. I should improve my communication skill by repeating and explaining my concepts and purposes to him and reaching agreements that will do us both good.

No comments:

Post a Comment